Re: [2n attempt] Help with Sony NWS-3410 and NWS-3260

On Oct 27, 2023, at 2:52 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2023, at 10:20 PM, Stefano Sanna <stefano%mmcc.it@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Can I get in touch with somebody that already installed NetBSD and NEWS-OS on these machines? Can somedoby share the original installation media? As wrote above, unfortunately both hard drive are broken, therefore it is impossible to dump the and/or move from one machine to the other.
>
> Were you able to find help with this? I don't have any of this hardware or experience with it, but my first sketch of recovering the system would be to see if you can use the NetBSD boot floppies to boot NetBDS on the systems diskless from an NFS server, since there are hints in that INSTALL document that this is supported somehow. Then if you can do it for NetBSD, it's probably just a matter of changing what the server entries point to point to an extracted NeWS-OS file hierarchy on the same NFS server.

Oh yeah… Something that would be nice to have in NetBSD is a "generic" second-stage bootstrap that could be used for platforms like this to bring them up. This is really handy for the systems where it does exist, e.g. the HP 9000-300 series, where the second-stage bootstrap can be served via HP's Remote Maintenance Protocol or loaded from any LIF filesystem and then used to do a "modern" DHCP+NFS boot...

  -- Chris