Re: Z50 - "wsdisplay_console_initted < 2" panic on hpcmips HEAD

...on Wed, May 26, 2021 at 09:42:41AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

 > ite8181video0 - thats interesting...
 > https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/hpcmips/dev/ite8181.c#301
 > https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/dev/hpc/hpcfb.c#413
 > I think we have our smoking "double attach" gun. I suspect hpcfb.c was

While I can't claim to understand the code, it seems that ite8181.c
calls hpcfb_cnattach() in hpcfb.c once, and that's then the only place
where wsdisplay_cnattach() shows up around there. Also both files had
only minor changes in the past 10 years or so (though recently).

There's something going on with bivideo that's also being mentioned
in ite8181.c (over at sys/dev/hpc/bivideo.c and such), but I understand
that even less. (bivideo is what's being used when trying the - very
incomplete - z50 emulation in GXemul, and sais "pseudo video controller"
when booted in there, so maybe it's actually used just for emulation
purposes?)

I think I'll quickly try to build a kernel with NBIVIDEO, just to see
what happens.

Alex.