IBM Workpad z50 dmesg collection

Hi,

I sent a couple of dmesg outputs to dmesgd, but only got up to 8.1 for
now (8.2 hangs after "Updating motd" during init, and I'm running out
of time). 9.0 and 9.1 don't find a boot device,

Contrary to what I wrote before, PCMCIA still is operable in 8.x on the
z50, so maybe I mixed that up with that happened in 9...

So I have:

7.0.2: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6072
This release is rock solid on the z50, except for a few spurious kernel
messages (mostly "vrpiu:AD: " and three numbers, and some with
"giu data: " plus ASCII art).
I've been running it for weeks building software locally on the system.

7.1.2: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6073
Adds some "ne0: NIC memory corrupt" kernel messages, but networking is
operable in principle (I downloaded the other kernels I tried to boot
with this version, and the 7.0.2 userland).

7.2: doesn't boot, so I don't have a dmesg
Hangs after the "pcic0: WARNING: powerhook_establish is deprecated"
message

8.0: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6075
Userland starts failing with this release. ntpdate segfaults during
bootup (still on 7.0.2 binaries otherwise), and I collected about a
dozen core files in 5 minutes on running this kernel.

8.1: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6076
Init hangs at "virecover" (until aborted using Ctrl-C), same with the
segfaults.

8.2: more of the same, but didn't complete booting,
so I don't have a dmesg right now.

9.0 and 9.1 don't find a boot device, and while the ne2k card is
detected, I get the "ne0: where did the card go?" message immediately
after. Since I didn't find the serial cable I didn't have an easy
method to save a dmesg without storage and network.

I do see messages for the storage device too - it finds an atabus0
and a wdc1, but there is no wd0 device in the end. Doesn't matter if
I use the CF slot or a PCMCIA/CF adapter card.
I could post a few photos of the boot screen that I took.

So I guess there's two topics - what happened to the userland between
7.1.2 and 8.0, and what's up with the PCMCIA devices from 9.0 on.

Alex.