Re: ERLITE-3 boot problems

Hi Brook,

Brook Milligan wrote:

> I am trying to install NetBSD-9 on an ERLITE-3.  I have the NetBSD
> ERLITE kernel and md5 file in the MSDOS partition of the USB drive.  I
> have a second partition (type 169/NetBSD) that contains a whole NetBSD
> system.  The boot loader finds the kernel, loads it, and transfers
> control.  The kernel probes all the devices, but fails to find the
> root device.  All this is in the console output below, which is the
> same regardless of whether or not the NetBSD partition is marked
> active.
>
> I fear I set this up wrong somehow and would appreciate any guidance.
> How is the kernel supposed to find a root device different from the
> boot device?  Does the partition need to be marked somehow?  Must
> there be a boot loader?  Are there size constraints on the root
> partition?

I don't have a USB drive in my erlite right now.  Did you use the USB drive
that came with the erlite and use the existing partition layout or build a fresh
USB drive?

Also, can you try "fdisk sdN" and "disklabel sdN" on that USB drive on
another NetBSD system?

If you don't mind using -current instead of NetBSD 9 Jared has made an
image that you can dd(1) on to your USB then it magically resizes the
rootfs up to the USB drive size on first boot:

    http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/202008170740Z/evbmips-mips64eb/binary/gzimg/octeon.img.gz

Cheers,
Simon.