Subject: Re: ath hal and reserved register r23
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/24/2007 16:52:16
Quoting David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>:

> Apparently the changes from the yamt-idlelwp branch reserve MIPS register
> r23 for curlwp for a kernel size/(speed?) benefit.  The Atheros HAL,
> which we do not have the liberty to recompile, uses r23 for its own
> purposes, which clash with the kernel's.  Consequently, one cannot use
> ath(4) on a MIPS box running -current.
>
> Is it possible either to use some other register, or to make the use of
> r23 for curlwp a compile-time option, so that development in -current
> on MIPS boxen such as the Meraki Mini[1] can continue?

Isn't the reservation of r23 just a single GCC flag? Since Sam builds
the HALs for a bunch of platforms anyhow, maybe if it's not
complicated he'd be willing to add one more image to his builds.

It might be worth a quick query, rather than adding another compile-time knob.

Steve

(By the way, how painful was it to discover this problem?)