Subject: Re: yamt-idlelwp fallout for mips/cobalt?
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Byron Servies <Byron.Servies@Sun.COM>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/22/2007 10:44:39
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> mk@kilbi.de wrote:
>
>> Today with todays -current sources (after yamt-idlelwp merge) I
>> successfully built a new kernel for my qube2 and tried to boot it on
>> my qube2: It just hangs directly after displaying some entry point
>> message/address! No further display...
>>
>> -> Is this a known issue for cobalt/mips after yamt-idlelwp merge?
>
> Maybe so, but it seems there are two problems.
>
> One looks cobalt specific and the attached patch makes
> my RaQ2 get device configuration.
> (I'm not sure if cobalt firmware clears BSS when
>  it loads a kernel directly without our native bootloader)
>
> The other one is "panic: TLB out of universe:" messages
> right after interrupts are enabled and this one may be
> a MIPS3 generic problem as mentioned in src/doc/BRANCHES
> because it also happens on NetBSD/arc, but I haven't
> tracked it (yet).

I have (finally) located the ancient server that has the rom code for
the MIPS based Cobalt products.  The ROM itself does just enough to boot
a very small Linux kernel stored in the rom, which in turn loads the
kernel to boot from the disk.  That's it: the rom does just enough to
get the kernel loaded.

I don't see anything that looks like clearing bss, but then I don't read
GAS code very well:
	*(.dynbss)
	*(.bss)
	*(COMMON)

is all I see.

HTH,

Byron
--
Byron Servies
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.