Subject: Re: Edimax BR-6104KP router
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Simon H <si1356@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/23/2007 14:52:11
I thought I'd give an update on this.  I have managed to
boot to a shell in single-user mode.  I don't know what
was going wrong before, but I added some debugging output
to /bin/sh and then everything worked.  I suspect it was
simply remaking the object files for /bin/sh that fixed
the problem.

The problem I am having now is mounting the memory disk
read-write.

My /etc/fstab looks like this:
/dev/md0a / ffs rw 1 1

The boot messages indicate I have the correct device:
md0: internal 2048 KB image area
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs

It seems I also have the device nodes:
# ls -l /dev/md0*
brw-r-----  2 root  0  17, 0 Apr 18 12:15 /dev/md0a
brw-r-----  1 root  0  17, 3 Apr 18 12:15 /dev/md0d

But when I try to mount the memory disk rw:
# mount -u -w /dev/md0a /
mount: cannot open `/dev/md0a': Device not configured

And using /etc/fstab:
# mount -ua
mount_ffs: /dev/md0a on /: specified device does not match mounted device

I have tried this both with a normal kernel:
# mount
root_device on / type ffs (read-only, local)

And also one where I substituted the "root_device" string
in the ffs code to give:
# mount
/dev/md0a on / type ffs (read-only, local)

Similar errors either way.

-Simon.