Subject: Re: *this* would make a very nice NetBSD machine
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 08/14/2006 18:14:07
I am not sure if this discussion is entirely appropriate for this
mailing list but it is interesting discussion anyway.

I don't believe AMD or Intel to be big suppliers of chips in embedded
space, except maybe flash memory chips but certainly not processors. If
embedded space gravitating to anything it is specialized SOC solutions,
the kind that ATI, Broadcom and Marvel provide. Geode is certainly SOC
but it is not usable for pretty much anything except some generic
computing. It needs more chips to make it usable for say set top box
applications. Where if you take Broadcom or ATI chip it does not need
much besides memory and few discrete components to become a set top box.

With AMD/ATI merger we will see if ATI will go to x86 with its Xilion
line. As far as ARM it is a separate company list time I checked so it
probably will be open source.

I could not find die size for geode x86 portion but I am sure it is
bigger than mips core built with the same technology. Until mips expands
or x86 shrinks there will be size consideration because smaller core
size means you can put more of other components on the same die.

Regards,
Alex