Subject: Re: *this* would make a very nice NetBSD machine
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 08/14/2006 15:53:33
I mostly agree with your argument except one thing - even though geode
and alike can shrink their die size, mips will do so as well with moving
to a new technology. It is all about the costs in embedded market. So if
say mips will be 2mm on die and geode 4mm, mips still wins.
As far as holding on to low end I think you are not absolutely correct
here. I can give many examples - PIC being on extremely low end, 8051,
Z80, etc. These processors were expensive and large at some point but
now they are tiny and very wide spread. ARM is a low end solution and
has been expanding its presence for a very long time. I am not sure why
set tops not using ARM but somehow they are not at least not in big numbers.

MIPS64 is not very useful on low end, there is not much memory and you
don't need much horse power there. It just takes extra die space without
any measurable benefits. That is why you don't see it much. As far as
multi core goes Broadcom has multi core chips that are in the routers
and some other networking products.

At the end it is all decided by price/performance ratio or !/$.

Regards,
Alex