Subject: Re: *this* would make a very nice NetBSD machine
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 08/14/2006 15:08:02
Timo Schoeler wrote:
> thus Garrett D'Amore spake:
>> Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>> http://www.movidis.com/products/rev.asp
>>>
>>> 16 core MIPS CPU, ECC RAM, very low power design.
>>>
>>> or wait for PA Semi and their PowerPC-based PWFficient? :)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>

>> I want one. :-)
>>
>> Just when you think MIPS is a dying architecture, news like this comes
>> out...
>
> definitely. :)
>
> given the energy saving hype MIPS (and a few others) really have an
> advantage due to their focus on embedded CPUs... (no, i'm not against
> it -- as long as it saves the environment, almost anything can be
> legitimated; and 'cos energy is equivalent to $$$, even people that
> don't care a shit about the environment are 'forced' to save it :)

I just sent a sales inquiry to their folks.

One of my questions I asked them is whether they were interesting in
funding a port of Solaris to it.  I've been toying with the idea of
doing a Solaris MIPS64 for a while now....

I hate to say it, but I think on a highly SMP box like this NetBSD will
perform poorly (at least compared to alternatives).

If I had more energy, I might have considered trying to work NetBSD
kernel concurrency.  But I suspect that is a major quagmire anyway,
because fixing it requires such a huge code overhaul to introduce better
kernel threading and eliminate the Giant Lock.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191