Subject: Re: port MIPS64
To: None <port-mips@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jomayo@cisco.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/11/2006 10:55:29
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:40:09PM +0800, Bin Chen wrote:
> On 5/11/06, Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> wrote:
> >Bin Chen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am newbie to NetBSD, is it suitable to ask MIPS64 related port
> >> infomation on this list?
> >
> >Absolutely.  You've hit the right list. :-)
> >
> Thanks.
> >>
> >> BTW, what is the status of the MIPS64 support on current NetBSD project?
> >
> >There is no 64-bit MIPS port as of yet.  There is a Google Summer of
> >Code candidate project for it, but we won't know whether the application
> >has been expected for about 2 weeks.
> >
> >You should be able to run NetBSD in 32-bit mode on MIPS 64-bit
> >hardware.  What platform(s) are you specifically interested in?

If he is using the same multi-core MIPS as me, it won't work in 32-bit mode. (you'll have trouble with the memory map, Linux on it is also "stuck" in 64-bit mode). You can run 32-bit user space code on it just fine though.

> I am doing a project on a multi-core 64-bit MIPS processor, and want
> to use NetBSD as  a UP OS used for control plane.
> Did anybody try to port NetBSD to 64-bit MIPS?
>
> Thanks.

We're in the middle of porting netbsd to mips64r2 over here. Once we have it working I'll be pressuring the lawyers to let us kick back some code. There are other companies in the same situation. I think by the time you're done with your project netbsd/mips64 will have multiple experimental versions out. It's just too soon to want it now.

--
Jon Mayo
jomayo@cisco.com