Subject: Re: port MIPS64
To: None <binary.chen@gmail.com>
From: Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/11/2006 10:01:13

 Bin> I am doing a project on a multi-core 64-bit MIPS processor, and
 Bin> want to use NetBSD as a UP OS used for control plane.  Did
 Bin> anybody try to port NetBSD to 64-bit MIPS?

I did.  It's a surprisingly large effort, but I got to the point where
I could build NetBSD (that was 1.6.2) in N64 mode and have it boot.

Part of the work involves defining what syscall parameter passing
looks like in N64 (the answer is fairly obvious but it isn't specified
in the ABI, so that definition has to be created).  But I found that
the biggest part of the job was making all the userland library
changes.  For example, setjmp/longjmp was hairy.  (In that case, part
of the problem was that some foolish programmer deliberately hardcoded
some data structure sizes rather than using symbolic names.
Fortunately, that design error was documented in the comments, so I
could unscrew it.)

	paul