Subject: organization within the MIPS tree...
To: None <port-mips@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/04/2006 12:10:34
I've noticed that we have tended to put processor specific headers in
something like:

src/sys/arch/mips/alchemy/include/xxx.h

this makes it awkward to either deploy headers to the field (not sure
why we'd want to do that), and also to use them.  you have to have
#includes like this:

#include <mips/alchemy/include/xxx.h>

I've noticed that powerpc does it cleaner.  They create subdirectories
underneath powerpc/include, so you can have something like this:

#include <powerpc/ibm4xx/xxx.h>

I think that is a lot cleaner.  (Losing the redundant "include" bit.)
And they can then deploy certain headers that may be useful outside the
kernel.

Any reason we don't do this for MIPS?   Would anyone object too
strenuously if I changed alchemy to do this?  It would be nice to
convert them all... and I'm willing, but I can't do more than verify
that the kernels still build, as I don't have e.g. a sibyte class machine.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191