Subject: Re: port-mips/31915: provide centralized wired_map logic
To: None <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/01/2005 23:30:27
In article <17255.30272.94435.835085@srapc2586.sra.co.jp>
soda@sra.co.jp wrote:

> > Maybe arc port should handle two regions, one is statically
> > wired map for early bootstrap stage and the other is
> > bus_space wired map for devices which have large regions.
> > The former mappings won't require strict region management,
>
> I guess this doesn't work well.
> Because console is one of things which are needed on the very earlier
> stage, and framebuffer (for console) need the large region.

Hmm, but with a quick glance, in tga_cnattach() device mem regions
are allocated by bus_space_map(9) in tga_mappaddrs() so it uses
the 'managed regions with the default wired map size,'
which could use the functions in Garrett's patch.
(hmm, it assumes bus_space functions won't use uvm/pmap functions?)
I'm not sure whether tga uses a new wired mapping or the PCI region
already mapped in c_nec_pci.c:c_nec_pci_init(), though.

The problem here is that there are several direct arc_enter_wired()
calls to map devices, but I think most of them are 'static' mappings
so strict region management is not needed.
---