Subject: Re: PCI on MIPS big-endian?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 10/18/2005 12:42:54
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:12:31AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>

>>[...]
>>Basically, my understanding is that bus_space_read_XXX and
>>bus_space_write_XXX are supposed to provide implicit swapping of data,
>>whereas bus_space_read_stream_XXX and write_stream_XXX are supposed to
>>skip the swapping.  (As far as I can tell, wi(4) is the only device I
>>can find that depends on the _stream versions.)
>>

>The IDE driver does too.

Really?  I don't see that, all I get are some NICs and the DPT driver.
I tried this command:

find src/sys/dev/ -name '*.[ch]' -print | xargs grep bus_space_read

I suspect that doing PIO for larger transfers would want that, but that
most modern IDE controllers on non-PC systems would use DMA, and thus
not need these routines.

    -- Garrett