Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/26/2004 18:31:34
[ On Friday, November 26, 2004 at 06:19:53 (+0100), Michael Kukat wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
>
> Mozilla runs "fine" here on NetBSD/alpha 2.0RC4. But it's extremely sloooow
> (besides the fact that if often crashes).

Hmmm....  that's weird.

Mozilla-1.6 ran fine on my NetBSD/alpha 1.6.2_STABLE and it was _FAST_!
(or at least as fast as one could expect such a monster to be when
running on a dual 400MHz AS4000 with just 1.5GB RAM ;-)  (faster than it
ran on my P-II 300MHz, that's for certain, and not a whole lot slower
than it ran on a beefy P-III 700Mhz....)

(and it ran fine only so long as I never opened a mail composer window
-- that would crash it within seconds or at least minutes, even if the
mail was composed and sent successfully -- and running any significant
amount of javascript was a recipie for an eventual crash too....)

I never did get around to building an older Firefox on my alpha, though
I assume it would have run as well and obviously it would not have
suffered the mail composer crash.  :-)

However I've been unable to get any Mozilla derivative to install
successfully since pkgsrc went to MOS_VER=1.7*.

They all die with a core dump from "regxpcom".

--
						Greg A. Woods