Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/26/2004 10:27:32
I have been using links-gui since about January of this year on my
AMD64 system.  I miss tabbed browsing and the font size is a bit
small (I haven't seen a way to tell links to use a larger font,
though it should be easy enough for a graphical browser like links).

It has additional benefits: It can run in a console mode.  It also
does some limited java/javascript junk (so that !@#$ web-pages written
by morons who use JavaScript in place of standard <a ...>...</a> links
work, for example).  It lets you do all navigation from the keyboard
if you like (this is nice for browsing mailing list archives, such
as mail-index.netbsd.org where I read NetBSD lists), yet even in console
mode, if you are running from an xterm, you can click on links if you
prefer.  (I like ambidextrous applications.  (^&)

I don't think that it does full-blown java and things like flash don't
work at all.  Its input field editing leaves much to be desired
(but is better in console mode than in GUI mode, for some reason).

Re. Firefox: I wish you had gone from pkgsrc.  I made a stab at getting
one of the Mozilla kindred to build a year ago.  After a bit of work,
it compiled from pkgsrc, but when it ran, it only produced blank
(white) windows...  I filed a PR with the patches for that much, but
between my need for a more immediate graphical browser (solved by links)
and the lack of interest from other parties, I stopped on the Mozilla
fixes.  I'm sure that the patches are outdated now.