Subject: R4000 Rev. 2.2 hardware bugs
To: port-sgimips <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/15/2004 19:47:36
Hi!

I'm crossposting to "port-mips" in the hope that anybody who
has got a clue about MIPS programming could say something con-
cerning the topic - or can even fix it in sys/arch/mips.

The R4000 revision 2.2 has some known hardware bugs, which don't
seem to be handled by NetBSD, as for example the "branch to end
of page" bug. AFAIK Linux/mips has a workaround for it.

Please refer to the official errata "R4000 PC/SC Errata,
Processor revision 2.2 and 3.0", available in PDF format for
download at:
http://www.mips.com/content/PressRoom/TechLibrary/RSeriesDocs/content_html

I ran into those problems while trying NetBSD 2.0RC4 on my SGI
Indy, equipped with an R4000SC Rev. 2.2. The symptoms are random
segfaults when a new program is started (in one of ten cases,
sometimes less, sometimes more).

If anybody is able to implement a workaround, I would offer my
time and my system to test the new kernel.

Please continue cross-posting to port-sgimips, as I don't read
port-mips at the moment.

Thanks.

--
   _  Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)