Subject: MIPS ARCSystem
To: None <>
From: Dennis Grevenstein <>
List: port-mips
Date: 09/14/2004 16:12:38

I just got a few parts of what seems to be a MIPS machine
of some kind. I'm not sure if it's more a MIPSco or an
ARCS machine, so port-mips seemed right.

I got these parts in a bundle:

MIPS ARCSystem mainboard
passive CPU cooler
four 72pin Toshiba RAM modules
one small daughterboard for the "Ethernet/serial" slot
EISA SCSI Adaptec 2740
ISA Ethernet Realtek

The rest of the machine including the case, power supply
and graphics board are missing. Now I wonder how to get
this thing to do anything. The CPU was removed, so I had to
reinstall the CPU and it's cooler. That alone was somewhat
difficult, but I think it should be right now. However,
I guess there is some metal missing  to fix the CPU.

The first thing would be a new power supply, but I'm
completely ignorant about the requirements. The connector
looks somewhat like a PC standard AT, but I don't deal with
PCs so often to just try. I don't want to frie the
The graphics board slot is something I have never seen
before, so I don't even have any hopes to get one.
How do I get this machine to work woth serial console?

In the end I would like to get this box to do anything
useful at all. Running NetBSD would be cool, but RISC/os
doesn't sound bad either. IIRC there is no Linux support
for any machine of that kind. I guess the only system
I definetly wouldn't consider is NT, so any hint is
greatly appreciated.

If you reply, please add a CC: to me, because I'm not
on the list.

There is certainly no purpose in remaining in the dark
except long enough to clear from the mind
the illusion of ever having been in the light.
                                        T.S. Eliot