Subject: Re: How to write bootloader
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/02/2004 21:04:28
Rishabh Kumar Goel Rishabh@soc-soft.com asked;

> I have a TX4938 eval board. I have ported NetBSd to it and now I m
> thinking of writing a bootloader. Is there any refernce bootloader
> available for mips or evbmips ports of netbsd.
>
> Can u guys tell me about any website where I can get any information
> about it? I m thinking of supporting Ethernet kernel download and GDB.

You found that what you use now is not sufficient enough for your purpose.
Right?  There are number of freely circulated bootloader software these
days. Among them, PMON2000 or U-Boot looks attractive since they
have plenty of favorable features including TFTP download or some
combination of "fetch kernel from filesystems on HD/CD-ROM"
It may be useful to have "boot from USB storage" feature since it would
be as equally indispensable as network boot.

Choosing and fostering good bootloader in-house will contribute company's
asset.  If your product was successful this time, bootloader stuff will very likely
be re-targeted for the next product, repeatedly, as long as sales goes well.
So, as important as choosing "right OS" it's significant to raise feature-rich
and promising bootloader at hand.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology