Subject: Re: 69030 Dual HiQVideo Support on MIPS arch
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 09/29/2003 18:44:09
"anand lalgondar"  said;

> I have few assumtions that I would like to mention:
>
> There are two types of implementation in supporting graphics card:
> 1. VGA Implementation
> 2. Framebuffer Implementation
>
> I assume that both are completely independent drivers and design.

Many PCI graphics card have linear framebuffer mode in practice.  They do have "VGA
compatible mode" which 8088/DOS software expects.  It's possible to go straight linear
framebuffer road because your MIPS processor does not want to handle VGA compatible
registers.  In that case firmware (BIOS, PROM, or what-so-ever) does correct things
to prepare to show raster bitmap characters on display and to render glyphs as you type
in.  This is exactly what "workstation with bitmap video console" did since 1980's.  Frankly
I'm puzzled with two independent people asked to use VGA for RISC processors...

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology