Subject: Re: 69030 Dual HiQVideo Support on MIPS arch
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 09/29/2003 16:53:40
"anand lalgondar" asked;

> Now I want to support 69030 Dual HiQVideo "PCI" card on my target board. I
> know that the boot program should take iniative to enable and configure the
> registers of the video card (as it happens in i386 arch), but my PMON does
> not have support to that extent. It also does not recognize the PCI
> controller present in the Processor.

You have PMON equipped MIPS eval, which can not handle PCI device attached
well.  Now, you're going to derail out of PCI world.

> can
> I do the register settings of the video circuit inside the netbsd kernel
> before calling xxxcnattach() (since my PMON boot program does not support
> PCI and hence 69030 PCI Card). If this is possible then how can I get the
> base address of the 69030 regsiters to do so, since they are sitting on PCI.

No, mostly.  Welcome to wormful land of "firmware" world.  Although most computer users
do not recognize, there is the whale of work/sweat accomplished prior to load
and exec OS kernel.  Firmware (BIOS in PC term) aware of PCI scheme has to
enumulate PCI devices on system and allocate and assign address space in complicated
manner, and further, do many register initialization work for each particular PCI devices.
Upon OS kernel starts running it expects PCI world is in peace with full order of
"specification."  This means you can not tweak/skip PCI scheme bypassing shortcommings
of  less-engineered firmware.

> There should be some way to do this and I would like to get that.

Engineer PMON, preferably replace it with PMON2000 to start, and realize how much
BIOS programmers pump their sweat to make things work...

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology