Subject: Re: Console support
To: , <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 09/14/2003 15:33:32
Rishabh Kumar Goel asked;

> I have a VGA card C&T 69030 chipset.
> Q1.	Can i use the generic VGA driver.
> Q2.	I m working of Tx4927 port of netbsd. which has a serial console support.
> How can i attach it with VGA card or to have on my console on the monitor?

Having VGA style hardware seems not a good way to go since it's deeply bound
with messy PC-ism which can be avoided by a simpler form.  If you're responsible
for making initial boot programs (PROM, or BIOS in PC term), you have to initialize
and prepare various register settings of the video circuit prior to loading NetBSD
kernel, and then your TX4927 kernel itself does some around xxxcnattach()  to
make possible to show characters on screen.   Forget VGA because it's bush, and
go a straight way of linear framebuffer road.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology