Subject: Re: MIPS 64bit port status check. IRIX_COMPAT working??
To: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
From: Nigel Stephens <nigel@algor.co.uk>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/19/2002 18:52:16
GIRISH V. GULAWANI wrote:

>.1> I have attempted to compile Algorithmics toolchain
>from source on NetBSD platform. In this I have tried
>to mix NetBSD & Algorithmics build. It does compile
>the kernel now, alright, however found couple of
>problems with it.

Girish

Best to communicate with Algorithmics (now MIPS Technologies (UK)),
directly on any problems in the toolchain. We'll be pleased to help sort
them out, as we are NetBSD fans.

>  . For example for 20Kc option it seems there is lot
>to be done. Command line options have some mismatch.

I'd be interested to know what they are. Which version of our sources
did you start from? Note that we are currently working on a single
complete toolchain (i.e. including ld, gas, binutils) which can
succesfully compile the Linux kernel, modern glibc, apps etc, which is
rare for Linux! ;-). This toolchain should work well for NetBSD too, but
it isn't quite ready yet. We'll let the group know when it is.

>  . Concat macros does not compile. Hence the
>mipsX_locore.S file gives compile errors with this
>toolchain.
>  . ABI calls are not supported. (Ofcourse this is
>mentioned in the configuration.)

Sounds like you've configured the compiler with "--target=sde". That
would be wrong for a NetBSD compiler, since the "SDE" compiler targets
embedded, statically-linked enviroments (though you can use -mabicalls
to enable ABI conventions). It also defaults the C pre-processor to
"traditional" mode when processing assembler sources, which would
probably explain the CONCAT problem.

You probably want to configure it instead using "--target=mips-netbsd"

Nigel

 Nigel Stephens             email: nigel@algor.co.uk
 MIPS Technologies (UK)       web: http://www.algor.co.uk
 The Fruit Farm         cambridge: +44 1223 706200
 Ely Road, Chittering      london: +44 20 7704 9081
 Cambridge CB5 9PH         mobile: +44 7976 686470
 England                      fax: +44 1223 706250