Subject: PCI VGA Card Initilization (SIS6326 / PT80)
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Girish Gulawani <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/20/2002 23:28:49
hello, all.

to begin with this is NEWBIE trying to bring up NetBSD on LSI MIPS EZ4021
based board.

i've a PCI/VGA card PT80 with SIS6326 chipset. i am trying to initialize it
on my MIPS board as part of dummy BIOS/Loader source code. but i am not able
to access the internal buffer which is typically at 0xA0000. even the BIOS
ROM (0xC0000) read is fine. but it has the x86 code. however IO seems okay
because the monitor actually switches from power down mode to normal mode.
i'm currently referring rawvga1.c and rawvga2.c files from MILO BIOS for
Linux/Alpha. is it that some cards cannot be fired up without their BIOS??

i have even tried using free-bios source code, which has VGA bios code for
SiS300. its able to bring up monitor to normal mode out of powerdown mode.
screen even displays "Out of Scan Range" message. but nothing after that. in
order to compare initialization steps between SiS300 & my target SiS6326, i
tried to get the data sheet from www.sis.com website but the data sheets are
not
available. could any body point me where the data sheets for SiS300 and
PT-80 VGA card are available?

btw, i wonder what card you people are using for VGA monitors? and what
about their initialization on the MIPS board? is there ANYBODY who has used
"AOpen's PT80" or ANY VGA card based on SiS6326 chipset on MIPS board & how?
if somebody has done this exercise could you please explain, because i am
sure this will be of general interest.

[to summarize my problem with PCI/VGA card -- currently i am using MILO bios
source code. the PT80 VGA card has 3 BARs. BAR0 = PCI Memory Area. BAR1 =
0xA_0000 (VGA MemIO Buff) BAR2 = 0x0380 (IO).
with these settings the IO access from CPU is ok. but any access to A0000
fails. my PCI is not PCI-to-PCI bridge, hence no question of VGA Enable.
also the PCI bus analyzer does show memory read & memory writes commands
being generated when accessed A0000 address. to add to this - i guess my
options to choose the card are also limited as i have 3.3v PCI slot.]

please help me.

many thanks in advance & more to questions to follow soon.
regards,
girish.