Subject: Re: mipseb cross compiler problems on Alpha?
To: Michael Engel <engel@informatik.uni-siegen.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/09/2001 15:22:43
--==_Exmh_-1615925426P

In message <20011109210555.A152594@aretha.informatik.uni-siegen.de>, you write:

-> I'm currently trying to compile a NetBSD (1.5.2) kernel for
-> MIPSco machines (mipseb). As I have no native NetBSD-mipseb
-> machine available, I installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on an AlphaStation
-> 255 that was sitting unused in a corner (everyone here's
-> transitioning to x86 hardware...) and tried to cross-compile
-> the NetBSD kernel according to the "Cross building NetBSD"
-> document using the cross-mipseb-netbsd-1.3.0.0 package from
-> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/alpha/All/\
-> cross-mipseb-netbsd-1.3.0.0.tgz.
->
-> After adapting the cross-compile script the kernel compile
-> started fine but reproducably stops with a "virtual memory
-> exhausted" error message when cross-compiling
->
-> usr/src/sys/lib/libkern/sha1.c
->
-> Increasing swap space to 1 GB did not change this behaviour.

Hmm, did you increase your per-process limits first?

I used the cross-mipseb package for quite a while to get going on
the sgimips port and at least for kernel compiles it worked quite
well (userland was another story... to get userland to build I
used the crosscomp.sh tool written by Tim Rightnour and Bill
Sommerfeld, which built a cross-compiler from the in-tree egcs-
based toolchain).

My host was an x86 box with 256MB, and I never had to do much to
get things to build (not even touching process datasize limits);
I have no exprience using Alpha as a host, though.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
   Need to get a hold of me?  http://http.eiab.edial.com/800.edial/rafal

--==_Exmh_-1615925426P

--==_Exmh_-1615925426P--