Subject: mipseb cross compiler problems on Alpha?
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Engel <engel@informatik.uni-siegen.de>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/09/2001 21:05:55
Hi,

I'm currently trying to compile a NetBSD (1.5.2) kernel for
MIPSco machines (mipseb). As I have no native NetBSD-mipseb
machine available, I installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on an AlphaStation
255 that was sitting unused in a corner (everyone here's
transitioning to x86 hardware...) and tried to cross-compile
the NetBSD kernel according to the "Cross building NetBSD"
document using the cross-mipseb-netbsd-1.3.0.0 package from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/alpha/All/\
cross-mipseb-netbsd-1.3.0.0.tgz.

After adapting the cross-compile script the kernel compile
started fine but reproducably stops with a "virtual memory
exhausted" error message when cross-compiling

usr/src/sys/lib/libkern/sha1.c

Increasing swap space to 1 GB did not change this behaviour.

Compiling a native Alpha kernel works fine so I suspect there is
a problem with the mipseb cross toolchain.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Btw, I'm not actually trying to get a working mipsco kernel
out of this but would rather like to start a NetBSD port to
the Siemens' RM-series systems (RM200/400 are MIPS R4k-based
EISA/PCI systems running big endian in Sinix mode and little endian
in ARC/NT mode) and wanted to confirm that the cross compile tools
work.

regards,
	Michael
--