Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/cobalt/cobalt
To: None <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: None <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 06/27/2001 08:03:50
nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp writes:
> Maintaining cpu_identify() routine in mips/mips_machdep.c is rather,
> really indeed, pain.  Port-specific cpu_attach() is intended to
> pretty-print CPU characteristics which should be known by
> port-maintainers as prerequisites.

"There should be a architecture-level function for the purpose, and
indeed there is, but it's a bit annoying.  So we're going to use local
code instead, and put less-annoying but very similar hunks of code in
N places." ?!?!?!?

Lose.

If cpu_identify() is broken (and oh, it is 8-), _FIX IT_, and make it
more usable.  don't scatter CPU identification code elsewhere, even if
it's reasonable to do so.

at most, port-dependent code should do something like run
cpu_indentify() then sanity-check its output.

chris