Subject: Re: more funky stuff with kthreads and interrupts
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/01/2001 13:53:46
In message <Pine.ULT.4.05.10105011101210.6393-100000@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
, Michael Hitch writes:

-> On Tue, 1 May 2001, Toru Nishimura wrote:
->
-> > It's worthwhile of printf()ing SR value when kthread gets assigned the
-> > very first timeslice.
->
->   My memory must be failing - I did this a while back and thought the
-> problem didn't exist on the pmax.  I forgot that the SR bits have to be
-> 1 to enable the interrupt (too much time on the m68k systems thinking
-> that a level 0 means all interrupts enabled).  I printed out the results
-> of an spl0() in the reaper and ioflush threads when they started:
->
-> root file system type: ffs
-> Reaper started with SPL 00000001
-> Ioflush started with IPL 00000001
-> init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11

I seem to recall the same happening on the SGI, which is why I sent the
patch to specifically set the IPL in cpu_fork() a while ago.  However,
once I was convinced that proc0's IPL was being set by the MD code, I
dropped the issue.  I'll have to go double-check it.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.edial.com/rafal.boni@eDial.com