Subject: Re: hardwiring USPACE
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/26/2000 09:03:27
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 01:58:28AM +0900, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

 > IIRC, this may cause a serious problem that a system may come to
 > be impossible to create any process due to fragmentation of memory
 > pages. Do you have any idea to prevent such fragmentation?

Well, this is virtual space we're talking about, first of all.  The
underlying pages do not themselves have to be aligned.  Also, this
isn't unlike what PMAP_PREFER does, which is essentially align the
virtual address suitably to make the cache happy.

If virtual space is fragmented enough such that an 8K sized/aligned chunk
can't be allocated, you are already losing :-)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>