Subject: Re: Q: rm400 siemens mips r4000 workstation
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 08/02/2000 17:41:10
In message <200008021351.WAA17829@srapc342.sra.co.jp> Noriyuki Soda writes:
: It seems that RM400 is a kind of arc platform, although currently it
: is not supported by NetBSD/arc.

The Linux/mips people support the RM400 (iirc, there are several
models in this line and there are a few that aren't supported because
they are MP and have oddities that aren't documented).  The systems
have relativgely fast CPUs in them, iirc.  The only realy strange (I'd
call it whacked out, but that doesn't translate well) thing that I can
recall about these boxes is that they load the images 8 bytes higher
than the headers of the ecoff.  The LILO loader that used to be used
for Linux/mips had some code to cope with this very strange behavier
(early in start: it will move the whole kernel down by 8 bytes if
necessary).

IIRC, there were several minor touch ups in the Linux kernel when
support for this was introduced.  I've been looking for other arc
machines than the one I have for a long time, and I've never even seen
even a hint of one of these for sale in all the time I've looked.
Several times I've been outbid on other machines, but I've not seen
these.

I'd like to see NetBSD/arc support them.

Warner