Subject: Re: Magnum kernel on Bull DPX/ProStatiton
To: Wayne Knowles" , "Maki <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
From: Chris Collins <ccollins@pcug.org.au>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/30/2000 01:35:53
----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Knowles <w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz>
To: Maki <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
Cc: <port-mips@netbsd.org>; Wayne Knowles <w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz>
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2000 10:18 AM

>>   The NVRAM M48T02 in my machine was dead, so I removed it, and the
machine didn't boot.  With my dead NVRAM, my ethernet hardware address is
set to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and that seems to be a problem with my bootpd.  I
ordered a new NVRAM chip, and it should be here next week, but does anyone
know how to set the MAC address?  I have RiscOS running on that machine if
that helps.  I booted netbsd using sash.

> I have 2 machines in a similar situation.  Unfortunately it isn't as easy
> to set as the NVRAM is broken into 2 sections.  The first 1024 bytes are
> READ ONLY and enforced by hardware, The remaining 1015 bytes (leaving room
> for the RTC registers) are R/W Access.   Because of the hardware write
> protect on the first 1k of memory you cannot reprogram the chip from the
> monitor as Soren does on the sgimips platforms.

It appears my RC3230 is the same :(

To make matters worse, I have no way of actually booting my RC3230 as the
disks in the system appear to have either been corrupted or erased, and I
have no RISCOS tapes. [The machine was a gift from an ex-hacker who got it
through unknown means].  This prevents me from actually using the machine.
Anybody willing to send me a QIC150 cartridge with an appropriate install
image, and basic install instructructions, would be greatly appreciated at
this point :)

> If all else fails we have to hardcode the MAC Address into the kernel -
> that goes against every single rule in networking and IU would be very
> reluctant to do that.

Just make it a boot parameter...  I could live with that.

> If you have access to anything that takes a 6116 then you will hopefully
> be able to reprogram it on that machine.   I would like to see the
> datasheet first to ensure it is in fact able to be done that way.

Do any of the Sparcs use this nvram chip?  I fortunately have access to a
large number of SparcStations.

--
| Chris Collins        | This message was brought to you |