Subject: Re: more on cache ops... What are they actually supposed to do?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-mips
Date: 06/19/2000 20:08:40
On 19 Jun 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> To follow up on one of my previous questions, about the use of the
> MachFlush[ID]Cache routines on mips1: they're used with different
> arguments, based on other checks of whether or not the CPU is mips1
> vs. mips3.  Is there any reason the code uses the same #defined name
> to wrap functions which take such radically different arguments?

  I think the original intent was to have a single name to use in the code
and have that name dispatch to the appropriate mips1 or mips3 routine.
Because of the cache differences between mips1 and mips3, I would say that
was probably not a very good decision.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant