Subject: Re: l2 cache handling... kinda bogus
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-mips
Date: 06/19/2000 21:15:31
On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 11:59:27AM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

Yeah, it's a mess currently :-)

> If efficiency is reaslly considered to be an issue (uh, just about to
> issue how many memory ops, are a few jr's really gonna make a diff?),

That probably isn't a really big deal.

However, there are other things that may warrant having separate
ops. E.g. some R4600 revisions have bugs so that you need to disable
interrupts while doing cache ops.

> However, if this is done, std ops which just jump through function
> pointers should be provided; I'd bet some $$ that they'll be more
> useful as time goes on.

I have been thinking that trying to avoid the function pointers
as is done currently is likely more trouble than it is worth, or
perhaps it could be done for just the MIPS1-only case.

> Anybody wanna do it?  I'd love to, but I don't have much time, and

Whoever does it should also keep Nisimura-san's recent suggestions
in mind..

--
Soren