Subject: Re: make paddr_t 64bit on arc port
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@geocast.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 06/07/2000 12:55:43
Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> - the intention of this patch is to support 64bit device address
>   space of arc port. framebuffer address and PCI bus space address of
>   some platforms locate beyond 4GB (32bit address) boundary.

Really?  I'd generally consider the arc machines to be "small"
machines.  I could see this for odd PCI devices, but I would have
thought framebuffers would have a 32b compatable address space
to maintain compatability with existing operating systems.

I'm also somewhat surprised the chip set would support very big
on smaller machines in the mid 90s.

When we designed bigger MIPS systems (Octane) at SGI, we kept
compatability for a 32b OS even though we eventually did not
use it.

jeffs