Subject: Re: R3000 SGI boxes
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@geocast.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/02/2000 09:43:23
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 12:02:53AM -0700, Jeff Smith wrote:
>
>  > One other note on the PI, the 4D/2x and the 4D/3x (also Indigo R3K)
>  > were different machines and would be a seperate mips port.
>
> How so?  Can't you tell what model you're running on via a firmware call?

I should revise that -- you can implement both as different platforms
in the same port like the pmax code.  Each system has a different
memory interface chipset.  It's likely that a few more things would
have to be carried into the switch structure.  SGI never tried
the same HW function have the same interface between platform
generations.

At SGI they were implemented as seperately built kernels.

I don't recall if there was a prom call in the pre-ARC prom based
systems to find out the platform type.  It should be possible to
figure it out one way or another though.

I'm much more familar with later systems (Indigo*, Indy and Octane).

jeffs