Subject: Re: mips kernel profiling?
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@geocast.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/21/2000 15:21:14
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> See src/gnu/dist/gcc/config/mips/mips.h.

	I think that I have a problem with the change to mips.h which fixed the
problem, back over a year ago. It isn't "wrong", but it seems to waste
an instruction. The $sp adjustment was moved before the _mcount call,
which is good, but a nop was added after the _mcount call.

	The whole idea is that the branch delay slots don't exist at this stage
in the compilation. If they did, then the original code wouldn't have
been a problem in need of the fix. ie. we want the $sp to be in the
delay slot of the _mcount call. But there are no delay slots yet, so we
put the $sp first. Why do we have a nop after the jal _mcount call?

	Thanks!
	-- Ethan