Subject: See MIPS Run
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/19/2000 20:58:32
Gentlees,

I got the book last evening and (as predicted) lack of good sleep
suffered me today.  I learned the book is the astonishingly good
source of knowledge and experinence for MIPS processor made by true
expertise.  For example, a chapter titled with "Portability
Consideration and C Code" might look unattractive, but the contents is
amazing to read; say,

- Wiring a Connection between Opposite-Endian Camps
- Wiring an Endianness-Configurable Connection
- Software to Cope with Both-Endianness of a MIPS CPU

I think the author has been involved with such kind of matter deeply,
for long time.  (those issues are enevitable in these days...)

One comment I can make; on page 211, the auther says;

   NEC ommited ll/sc instructions from its core from Vr4100 CPU, probably
   unaware that uniprocessors can benefit from these instruction too.

He guessed correctly.  I happen to know some of NEC semiconductor
guys, and they sometimes unaware of what MIPS processor design is
trying to solve, particularly in the area of how operating system
would utilize the processor design.

Tohru Nishimura