Subject: Re: Lazy FPU context switch
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/16/2000 19:58:46
In message <200004170148.KAA03556@dec146.aist-nara.ac.jp> Toru
Nishimura writes:
: vast majority of programs run no FP insn during process life time,
: deferred lazy FPU context switch works handsomely avoiding rather
: burdensome tasks of FPU save/load operations.

Cool.  What happens when a process that has been using the FPU goes
away?  I didn't see this case in the text above.

Also, is it assumed that once a process uses any FPU that it will
continue to use the FPU until it terminates?  I don't know if it would
be worth it to try to kick processes off the FPU if there's multiple
processes using the FPU.

Warner