Subject: Possible MIPS port for new hardwares
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/15/2000 12:18:16
(It's raining outside, I have a rumbing weekend today)

Here goes the description about MIPS based VME single board computer
once I memtioned briefly.

Densan Co. Ltd has been producing VME single board computer equipped
with various modern processors.

	www.densan.co.jp
	www.densan.com

Their VME product line is a sort of clone of Mot's MVME single board
computer; the company designed their own system controller chip
"DGA-1" which is roughtly compatible with PCC2+VMEchip of Mot'
products. (DGA-1 was designed and fabricated by NEC family) Their
peripherals are i82596CA and NCR53C710.  MIPS variation has; R19xx,
R39xx, R4100, R4300, R5000 and R4650.  There was even ARM variation
(mmm, it's missing now from their list).  I have full programming
documents at hand, and fortunately the company now has U.S.
subsidarary, so people can expected to obtain docos written in Enlish.

When I ran research possible NetBSD port to them, I realized their ROM
monitor foundation might be less capable of conventional ROM monitor
functionality commonly found in (well engineered) modern UNIX
products.  The good new is the board can swap (the address range of)
'flash memory storage' and EPROM with jumper pin, so if necessary it's
OK to build any flavour of ROM monitor from scratch!  PMON source code
would be a nice starting point.

Tohru Nishimura