Subject: Re: Algorithmics SDE-MIPS
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/14/2000 18:28:49
nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp (Toru Nishimura) writes:
> I'm pretty impressed by what Algorithmics Ltd. provides with their product
> "SDE-MIPS" (enhanced GNU toolchain).
>
>       http://www.algor.co.uk/algor/info/sde-benefits.html
>
> Is it possible or worth pursuing to incorporate the free portion of
> their effort into NetBSD?

which portion would that be?

The parts which are the mods to the GNU tools?  Algorithmics should be
prodded to give the code back to the FSF, if they have not already
done so.  However, if they don't, I'm of the opinion that we should
be working to reduce and finally _eliminate_ divergence from the GNU
tools from our toolchain, which means that shouldn't really pursue
using their stuff.

I seem to recall that they use their own custom assembler -- not gas
-- but that's just to say that that isn't free.  8-)

cgd