Subject: Re: noreorder
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@geocast.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/03/2000 09:38:18
Simon Burge wrote:

> Toru Nishimura wrote:
>
> Yes, I agree.  One ".set noreorder" at the top of each .S file seems a
> little excessive!  I suspect mainly the m?c[01] and tlb instructions as
> well as timing code (do we have asm delay() anywhere?) need it.

I agree, at SGI we only used .noreorder for hand optimized code
and for m?c0 and tlb instructions. I don't think there are any
hazards assocated with m?c1 like m?c0.

This does let the assembler do some more work with the delay slot
(both jump and hopefully the load delay slot).

As far as style goes, it should either be on all the time, or
only over short periods, or else it's easy to introduce bugs.

If we move to a smaller scope, it's really handy to put a
"# BDSLOT: regular comment" style comment, just so it's clear
what code path owns the instruction.

jeffs