Subject: Changing from Linux to NetBSD
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Jimmy M. Fernandez <jmejia@ariel.efis.ucr.ac.cr>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/08/2000 21:25:31
Hello!!

I got a Cobalt RAQ machine, that machine is Running Linux but I do not
want to use Linux because we are having TOO MANY security problems with
that Operating System, I use NetBSD and OpenBSD in i386 platform in others
serververs and I did not have even one surity related problem, they are
running so stable so nicely that I want to clean the hard disk of that
machine with linux and to install in it NetBSD, the only problem is that I
exactly do not know what kind of mips is, the "dmesg" at the
begging says this: "Loading R4000 MMU routines.", so I think I have that
kind of mips, later some lines below it says this:

"linear personality registered
raid0 personality registered
raid1 personality registered
raid5 personality registered
ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 8, function 0
ncr53c8xx: 53c860 detected
ncr53c860-0: rev=0x02, base=0x2000, io_port=0x10102000, irq=4
ncr53c860-0: NCR clock is 80802KHz, 80074KHz
ncr53c860-0: ID 7, Fast-20, Parity Checking
ncr53c860-0: restart (scsi reset).
scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - revision 2.5f.1 "

I think that is the SCSI controller, right? my question is, can I install
in that hardware NetBSD?

I really will apreciate any info that you can give me.

In other things, I am doing a mirror of the ftp server in a local machine,
how can I get listed as a mirror in the mirror list?, also, how can I help
giving some support to the project? For a long time I used Linux and I had
participated in the development of some parts of that OS, basically
developing some drivers for sound cards(CS4232 based sound cards), but
really now I feel nicer using *BSD than Linux and I want to get in of the
project.
But, because I am more a programmer than administrator I am a little
confused where to begging.

Greetings,
	JImmy