Subject: Re: uvm
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mips
Date: 02/06/2000 18:06:57
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 17:59:56 -0700
 Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:

 > Do you know what difference it made for, say, building the world on
 > these machines?

Honestly, I never ran that comparison.  I was mostly interested in making
it work at the time.

However, UVM was a significant win for every other platform in the tree
(most noticeable on VAX -- shaved 10 seconds off runnning /etc/rc on
a uVAX II) ... and given the additional improvements (like e.g.
eliminating double faults on systems where modified/reference information
is emulated, like the MIPS, and utilizing KSEG for certain kernel memory
pools to greatly reduce TLB usage), I would suspect that the MIPS benefitted
from UVM as well.