Subject: new sysctl - "machdep.cpu_isa"
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 10/21/1999 00:14:43
Folks,

I'd like to add a new sysctl called "machdep.cpu_isa" which returns
the kernel CPU ISA to userland as a numeric value.  Also, is this the
best name for this sysctl? the kernel uses cpu_arch for this value, but
cpu_isa seems like a more MIPSish name.  Something else to consider
is exporting cpu_name via a sysctl to userland as well...

My first use for this would be deciding if the CPU ISA is high enough
to use the ll/sc instructions for a test-and-set operation.  According
to "See MIPS Run", the Vr4100 is the only ISA III CPU that doesn't
implement ll/sc - is this CPU in common use?

Simon.