Subject: NetBSD/hpcmips
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 09/13/1999 11:24:56
Jonathan Stone asked me to post a summary of hpcmips to port-mips.

In a nutshell, it is a port of NetBSD to the various Windows CE based
machines that have the MIPS processor in them.  At the moment, it only
supports the Vr41xx series of machines (xx >= 02).  The issue with the
01 support is that we cannot find documentation for the KIU that is in
the '01 silicon.  All known extant versions of the manual online have
this chapter missing, and the design changed between the 01 and the
02.  Both the HPC and PsPC form factors are supported, although there
are no input devices for the PsPC devices at this time.

It is known to work on NEC's MobileGear machines as well as Everex's
monochrome machines (although I've never been able to get my Vr4102
based Everex machine past init's first fork).  It should work with
minimal effort on most of the MIPS Vr41xx based machines listed at
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pdamips.html

You will notice that the Phillips/Toshiba families of R3900 machines
are listed on this page, but they are not supported at this time.

For more general information on this port, you can see
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/netbsd-hpcmips-en.html
for my inexpert translation of the Japanese NetBSD/hpcmips page.  This
port will be commmitted to the NetBSD tree shortly.

Warner