Subject: Re: NetBSD/pica -> NetBSD/arc status?
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/11/1999 17:25:29
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> NetBSD/arc kernel now can boot itself but dies soon.  Noriyuki Soda
> found there is a substantial issue inside NetBSD/mips pmap.c.  In
> short, NetBSD/mips can not handle well any hardwares with no L2 cache
> memory.  The symptom which he's experiencing was also observed in
> another MIPS port (NetBSD for NEC Vr4100 based Windows CEs).  He's now
> making the correct solution to improve pmap.c for L2-less hardwares.

NetBSD is working reliably on our QED 5231 systems which have no L2
cache.  We have had systems which have run stably for many days.
There are some inefficient hacks to make this work, but it did work
as of several months ago.  I haven't synched to the tree recently
because I've been busy with other stuff.

	-castor