Subject: Re: 64-bit-clean userland on mips
To: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mips
Date: 01/19/1999 14:51:25
>This sounds good to me.  To make it more concrete,
>we could use the variable which I'd already defined in mips/include/types.h
>and have something like:

At a high-level, sure.  Though at least one of hte names should be
exposed at Makefile-level, and the names dont fit prior art for
Makefiles (no underscores there, historically).
And what does the _SIM_  denote?

Could we  define, say

    _MIPS_ABI_LP32
    _MIPS_ABI_LP32_64CLEAN
    _MIPS_ABI_LP64

and then define at most one of those names, but without the
underscore, in Makefiles?

Maybe a Makefile wizard (Jason?) would care to comment?

(In an ideal world, we'd maybe have different magic numbers, and the
linker would know which ones its save to mix, etc, etc., but I think
"object file uses mips3 insns" is all we get.)

>I'll move the genpubassym.cf code into /usr/src/regress and make
>it generate a compile-time error if there's a mismatch.

Cool. Whatever we do with names, I think thats the right step. Thanks.

>You all should be proud that it's clean enough to just work when the the
>right datatype is chosen.

Hey, thanks.  NetBSD tries to "do things right" and We've tried to
keep an eye out for potential 64-bit changes.
I'm glad you think it all worked cleanly!