Subject: mipse[bl] split
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 01/13/1999 10:16:14
Now that my Personal DECstation 5000/25 will be arriving next week, I'd like
to post a little status blurb about this.

I plan on having the mips architecture fully split mipseb and mipsel Soon.
This will entail:

- the source tree will NOT accept "mips" as a MACHINE_ARCH any longer, to
  make sure the new architecture names are used by make(1).  (Of course,
  make(1) will update itself when a kernel with the new value is booted.)
- shared source directories, i.e. <mips/*> and libc/arch/mips, will not be
  split apart
- the definition of MACHINE_ARCH will be determined by the individual port's
  include files.
- the toolchain will still be bi-endian, but the ``default'' will be
  determined by the MACHINE_ARCH value.
- pkgsrc will, for now, configure packages as "mips--netbsd" but will in
  the short term future change to "mipse[bl]--netbsd" with a special patch
  to config.guess, for pkgs which need it.

Most GNU autoconfed tools will recognize the magic "mips*" value and won't
choke on "mipseb" or "mipsel".  For others, the author can just be reminded
to update ``config.guess''.