Subject: Re: pmax compilation problems on current, mips_reg_t
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: port-mips
Date: 12/06/1998 19:57:40
I was originally planning on punting on the 64-bit option for the 64-bit
pmaxes, and having the size of mips_reg_t be determined on a MACHINE basis.

Are there people who really want to spend time making r4K pmaxes run faster
by going to 64-bit bcopy's, etc?

Just making things big enough to handle both and doing the appropriate
pieces in the trap handler sounds like a fine idea to me, as long as people
don't mind losing the stack space, but it means that things
like setjmp/longjmp become processor dependent which sounds kind of icky
to me.

I tried to set things up to minimize impact on the rest of the
existing mips ports, and maximize sharing of code.  If people want more
radical changes, I think it would require significantly more thought,
effort, and coordinated testing.

	-castor